Tuesday, July 19, 2011

This interview is over!

My client – female, mid-40s, stellar CV in PR and Communications – walked in the door for an interview with the CEO of a well-known plc. She was ushered in by the CEO’s PA; he was sitting behind his desk, writing on a Post-it note and, without eye contact, waved her to a chair in front of his desk.


As she pulled the chair back from the desk, he stood up and said, “You’re way too old for a position like this (Director of Corporate Communications) aren’t you?” 


My client, paused, placed both of her hands on the back of her chair and levelly said, “Hmmmm, interesting opening gambit. Let’s see now – either:
  • You haven’t read my CV at all, and my age has come as a surprise to you – in which case, you’re simply unprofessional or 
  • You’ve read my CV, but couldn’t work out my approximate age – in which case you’re an idiot or 
  • You’ve read my CV, know exactly how old I am, and you’re opening the conversation in this aggressive, and illegal, tone just to see how I’ll react when I’m supposed to be off-balance – in which case we’re back to unprofessional, with a dash of pig-ignorance thrown in for good measure or 
  • You’ve read my CV, know exactly how old I am and you’re opening the conversation in this aggressive, pig-ignorant tone because that’s your normal style – in which case you’re an arsehole.
      I’m plumping for the last option. Good-bye.”
      And she turned on her heel and walked out.

      I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you can tell pretty much everything you need to know about an organisation by the way they hire and the way they fire.
      Related Posts:

      1 comment:

      Anonymous said...

      that is just so true !!